This is my Sailor moon cosplay, worn at London MCM Expo, May 2012.
This is entirely hand made by myself.
The leotard is doubled over 4-way stretch lycra, which I made from my own pattern (after studying online 'how-tos' in pattern block building). It has one seam in the back and fastens underneath with poppers. I am very happy with the leotard; it was fiddly to include the bust seam in a way that looked right but it isn't see-through and hangs very nicely on me. The arm bands are also doubled over lycra, stuffed with cotton wool balls and attached to the leotard. These were difficult to wear because I overstuffed the darn things and they bruised my arms >>
The skirt and sailor collar are 100% cotton. I spent a long while trying to decide if I wanted shiny fabrics for these but finally decided that the matte colours looked better on me, for this purpose. The skirt has been box pleated and slips on over my hips. The hiproll is made of lycra stuffed with cotton wool and attached to the skirt. The sailor collar was doubled over and had white ribbon sewn to it, before it was sewn into the neckline of the leotard and shaped to be as symmetrical as possible.
The gloves were made from a single layer of lycra. I will probably redo these as you could see my Expo band through them, so they need to be a little thicker. They were mostly handstiched, as the fingers were too slim to go through my machine. The arm bands are made from duchess satin and stuffed with cotton wool.
The ribbons are made from two layers of duchess satin with interfacing sewn between them. I made two seperate bow shapes for both front and back bows, then puckered and sewed them together before wrapping a tube of satin around the middle to create a knot. I decided to go with duchess satin on the bows because they look shinier than the skirt/collar no matter what photo I looked at. The duchess satin has a nice sheen without being overly shiny, like some cheaper satins can be. The bows are attached to the skirt and leotard with poppers.
The brooch, earings and decoration on the choker were made from sculpey clay. The brooch took me the longest (over 8 hours) because I was determined to keep all the details intact from a close-up in the manga. It is painted with acrylics mixed with shiny embossing pigments and attached to the bow with brooch pins. The stars in the earings are beads painted gold as I had trouble making a consistent star shape from the clay. The moans are clay and painted with a metallic acrylic before being glued to the stars. I glued half pearls to clip on earing and attached the stars/moons with string. The choker itself is made from the same satin I used for the bows, with the decoration made from clay and painted the same as the brooch. I then superglued this to the choker. The tiara is foam painted gold with a red gem. I will redo this as I want to reshape it and add details; raised edges and a raised edge around the gem.
I used chibi from Arda wigs in light blonde for the base wig. I adjusted the pigstails before stubbing them and using the extra hair to cover two styrofoam balls to make buns. These were then superglued into the wig. I bought two long ponytail clips from arda wigs in the same colour and stubbed them, sewing them in under the buns. The wig was rushed somewhat as I was running out of time, so some of the hair became unglued as the day went along. One of the ponytails was also stubbed badly, so it kept losing hair when I brushed it. One of the ponytails has extra hair by the bun to cover up a mistake, which looks a little strange close-up. I am quite happy with this wig, though. I'd probably also restyle the fringe before wearing her again. The accessories were made from clay and, while they look fairly nice, need to be redone as the white ones are too big and the red/white bun decorations are uneven. I will probable make them from resin next time.
The boots are ankle high boots with the heels painted red and then knee high boot covers created with red and white pvc. These look very nice, in my opinion, and I am very happy with them. The moans are foam, painted yellow and attached with superglue.
I still need to work on her make-up but overall I am very pleased with this cosplay. I think it looks quite pretty and I felt very confident in it, despite the very short skirt XD I would probably redo small bits but it was fun to make and to wear. She will likely be reworn (though hopefully at a con that is not so hot! That wig is very heavy).
Critique is welcome (please bear in mind the flaws I already know about that I have pointed out but feel free to agree with them/provide suggestions on how to fix them.)